Held on: Friday, 1 February 2013
The UCT Lung Institute held the first
Smoking Cessation Symposium in Cape Town on 1 February 2013. The afternoon symposium was attended by over 50 delegates.
Why was the symposium held?
- Smoking continues to be a major scourge and on-going education/motivation is required to motivate staff to assist with smoking cessation work for their patients
- There is political and social interest at present given the new proposed legislation
- There is little teaching in the undergraduate medical school curriculum on smoking cessation.
- To update clinicians on smoking and its consequences in South Africa
- To update clinicians on the ethical/legal framework: Current and proposed legislation
- To explain the approaches to smoking cessation and currently available pharmacologic options
- To provide guidance on the psychiatric aspects of smoking cessation.
- To introduce the role and composition of a smoking cessation clinic
Why UCT Lung Institute?
- Clinical expertise in smoking related pulmonary diseases
- Launching the smoking cessation clinic at Groote Schuur Hospital
- UCT has ethicists with an interest in smoking
- Faculty of Health Sciences clinical staff – all disciplines
- University of Cape Town and Groote Schuur Staff health clinic staff
- Local general practitioners and specialists
Key speakers included:
Dr Richard van Zyl-Smit
Head of the Lung Clinical research Unit (UCT lung Institute) and co-ordinator of the smoking cessation services at Groote Schuur Hospital
Professor Eric Bateman
Director of the UCT Lung Institute and world leader in respiratory diseases particularly COPD and Asthma
Professor David Benatar
Ethicist and Head of the Department of Philosophy at the University of Cape Town
Professor Bob Mash
Head of the Division of Family Medicine at the University of Stellenbosch
Dr Ian Lewis
Psychiatrist and Head of Emergency Psychiatric services at Groote Schuur Hospital
Look out for notification for the second symposium later on in 2013
|Cigarettes – a few facts you should know||Dr Richard van Zyl-Smit||[...download pdf]|
|Cessation strategies, motivation, the how and why?||Prof Bob Mash||[...download pdf]|
|Addiction and Withdrawal: Is quitting smoking dangerous for your health?||Dr Ian Storm Lewis||[...download pdf]
|A reminder of the Harmful Effects of Smoking||Prof Eric D Bateman||[...download pdf]
|The role of pharmacology in smoking cessation||Dr Richard van Zyl-Smit||[...download pdf]