Services offered at the Lung Clinical Research Unit
Clinical Trials Unit
- Specialised unit for respiratory trials – over 15 years experience and more than 200 trials completed.
- Asthma and COPD, interstitial pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, bronchiectasis, etc.
Airways Disease Research Unit
- Investigating COPD in Africa, non-tobacco related chronic respiratory disease.
- Tobacco, electronic cigarette and biomass disease related mechanistic/basic science laboratory research.
Severe Asthma and COPD Referral Unit (Private & Hospital based)
- Clinical pulmonology service specialising in asthma and COPD evaluation and care.
- Adolescent respiratory disease.
Smoking cessation service
- Groote Schuur based outpatient service.
- Private evaluation and treatment plans.
Lung function testing (private)
- Detailed lung function: spirometry (FEV1/FVC), Plethysmography (DLCO, FRC, RV), 6 minute walk test.
Medico-legal evaluation of respiratory impairment
- Clinical review with respiratory function testing and chest radiology as needed.
Teaching training and outreach
- In partnership with the Department of Health – primary care training, outreach to local clinics.
- Specialised training courses – Airways master class, smoking cessation, radiology.